R E V I V E
team volunteering opportunity
Dates: 5 - 25 May 2024
(including travel days)
Location: Lengyeltóti, Hungary
Organiser: Szatyor Association in cooperation with the
MANAS Garden community
Dive into the spirit of Manas, an 82-acre oasis reclaiming its glory!
Come along while we transform this once-forgotten holiday village into a buzzing festival hub and a vibrant community haven. A journey where every step brings Manas back to life - somewhere we can connect to nature, each other and to ourselves.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
Get hands-on creating the heart of our festival and event space, the community square. Engage in eco-construction building structures made out of sustainable materials like clay and straw-bale next to practising natural weaving techniques. Tend to the earth through gardening that follows permaculture principles and get crafty in helping us create the festival decor.
Your journey at Manas extends beyond tasks. You have the chance to embrace 3 weeks of shared living as an opportunity to experience living in a healthy and thriving community. During these weeks, you will cook and eat together, maintain clean surroundings, and engage in frequent community-building activities. These moments of connection and personal growth are the foundation for a flourishing community at Manas, making your journey not only about building structures but also about nurturing bonds that can last a lifetime.
Nestled in the outskirts of Lengyeltóti, Hungary, just 15 kilometres away from Lake Balaton lies Manas.
The venue is surrounded by lush forests and blessed with its own lakes. Within a 20-minute walk, you can find all the necessary amenities like grocery stores.
As for your accommodation, our community lives under quite simple circumstances in nature, so be prepared to embrace simplicity in the camping area, where your cosy tents will await.
Our communal setup includes a spacious water block with hot showers and a washing machine, a shared kitchen with a dining area, and a glass pavilion that functions as a shared living room.
157 kms from Budapest, 13 kms from the Balaton Lake.
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE MANAS COMMUNITY:
We're on the lookout for vibrant individuals aged between 18 and 30 who are legal residents of the European Union - a total of 15 people.
To minimize the project’s carbon footprint, we invite participants to choose green travel options such as buses, trains, or shared cars, making the journey to Manas as eco-friendly as possible.
If you're someone with a curiosity and enthusiasm to learn about eco-construction, willing to get your hands dirty and contribute to the transformation of Manas, you're exactly who we're looking for.
Beyond skills, we seek individuals open to the communal experience.
Being part of our community means engaging in workshops, sometimes requiring vulnerability and openness.
If you're ready for a transformative adventure and eager to be part of a community-driven project, your journey at Manas awaits!
- In tents where we’ll provide everything from pillows to duvets, there is no need to bring a sleeping bag.
- Ingredients will be provided by the community, and the preparation of the (vegetarian/vegan) meals will be your responsibility as a group.
Water, bathroom, toilet:
- We have drinkable tapwater.
- We use outdoor camp showers and toilets.
- We have a washing machine participants can use
- May in Hungary can be quite unexpected. Prepare your clothing for a variety of temperatures ranging anywhere between 15°C to 25°C during the day and 5°C to 15°C at night time.
Travel and reimbursement
- Will be arranged individually and reimbursed by Szatyor Association.
- We strongly recommend to arrive by green travel (bus, train or shared car)! Travel costs will be reimbursed, up to 320 Eur (if travelling green)
- You have to have a European bank account with an IBAN number so we can transfer the reimbursement and the pocket money.
- Volunteers are insured through the ESC’s Henner insurance scheme.
- Please make sure to have your valid, blue EU Health Insurance card with you.
- We recommend you to have a travel insurance.
- Hungarian volunteers should have their own TB insurance.
- You will receive 5€/day pocket money.
- You are entitled to receive a YouthPass certificate.
Currency and banking:
- The currency is Forint (HUF). 1 Euro about 380 Forint.
- There are possibilities to change money in bigger cities, but you can pay with credit/debit cards in most shops.
- Hungarian electric system operates on 230 Volts, 50 Hz, with round prong European style pugs.
- We have a community space with sockets.
WHAT TO BRING:
- comfortable, clothes/shoes that you do not mind if they get dirty (in the garden, while working with mud or doing some other work. Best to bring a sturdy boots that are safe to work on a construction.
- hat, suncream
- your own water bottle
- working gloves
- rain jacket
- mosquito and tick repellents
- EU Blue social security card
- special medication, if you might need them
DO NOT BRING
- jewelry, electronics
- pets, animals